Friday, June 30, 2017

Painting Lords of Oblivion - Part 1

So...yeah. Still here. I've been thinking long and hard about what to do about this blog, and eventually I decided to get back to its roots: the Lords of Oblivion. So I'm going to be doing a bunch of stuff related to them, mostly a combination of hobby articles, background lore, and maybe some battle reports. I've also got some opinions/rants about 40K I want to share, so expect those at some point after I spell check the excessive exclamation marks.

In the meantime, let's do some hobby work!

Painting Lords of Oblivion - Part 1

As I'm sure everyone's aware by now, a new edition of Warhammer 40K has been released. And with it are some new Space Marines, kinda. The Primaris Marines are essentially upgraded Space Marines, even taller and tougher with more advanced wargear. As the Indomitus Crusade sweeps the galaxy, beleaguered Chapters like the Lords of Oblivion receive reinforcements in the form of these new warriors.

A batch of these new guys seem perfect to go over my process for painting Lords of Oblivion. Here we've got one of the two Intercessor squads the new starter box comes with. I've done some conversion work, of course, to make them more distinctive-looking.

I added more purity seals and grenades/pouches to the belts, plus some custom shoulder pads I acquired online (after chopping off the existing ones), plus making sure all the bolt rifles have scopes. The chainsword on the sergeant is purely cosmetic at this point, but I'm assuming there'll be wargear options in the inevitable codex coming next month. I might change it out for something else when that happens, we'll see. Anyway, I also gave them Grey Knight helms instead of the new Primaris style, mostly just to be different, but I'm pleased at how well they fit.


So we begin with the primer, of course, going with Chaos Black spray here. I have easy access to the outside and it's finally not winter, so I can spray stuff outside and not have to hand-prime.


First step is the green. I use Caliban Green as the base color, done in two thin coats for more even coverage. Apparently some guy named Duncan advocates this method too, but I've been doing it forever.


With the base color established, it's time for the actual shade of green. I still use Dark Angels Green, of which I managed to snag several pots of from eBay when the revamped line was announced, as I knew I'd need it. Sadly, there's no color in the current Citadel range that matches it exactly. However, Vallejo's Dark Green from their game line is very close approximation.


Next up is the blue. Macragge Blue is a suitable base coat, once again done in thinner coats for even coverage. Bit flat looking, though.


That's better. The final color is done with Altdorf Guard Blue, which is thankfully pretty close to the old Ultramarines Blue I used to use. 'Member when Ultramarines were actually painted with that color and not Imperial Blue?


With the blue and green ready to go, it's time for the trim. I do a base color of Ulthuan Grey, which is a nice off-white that covers up the black primer well. I follow this up with an actual coat of White Scar, to really make the white shine.

It's possible to have gotten some outside the "lines" and onto areas already painted. That's easily fixed with the appropriate blue or green re-applied.


With the white done, it's time for the next color, the metallics. Leadbelcher will do the trick here, getting all the magazines, barrels, vents, etc.


The final step for today is actually several in one. Most of the other minor details. For the purity seals, Mephiston Red is a nice, vibrant base color. For the parchment part of the seals, I do a base coat of Zandri Dust, which gives a good yellow/brown hybrid color. Finally, for the leather pouches, I use Mournfang Brown for the basic color.


So that'll wrap it up for today, but in part 2 I'll go over gold, skin, and shading. For now, though, they're at least vaguely presentable for the tabletop.

No comments:

Post a Comment